WIMBLEDON may be off, but you can still enjoy the perfect game, set and match.
Serve up an ace spread with juicy deals on berries, drinks and delicious desserts.
We may not have tennis this summer but we have strawberries[/caption]
Strawberries and fizz are the ideal doubles team, and you can also net some great buys this week on other summer favourites.
And if you’re looking to raise your cooking game, then my pick of tasty recipes below from Morrisons.com will make you a winner.
Money Street tip
DON’T wash strawberries until right before eating or using in a recipe.
Wash them gently under running water and quickly pat dry to stop them turning mushy.
Find a bargain
Berries and desserts
- BUY 350g of Morrisons strawberries for £2 or enjoy two for £3.
- Tuck into two for £3 on Morrisons blueberries, 150g, £2.
- Get stuck into a creamy Iceland strawberry trifle, 500g, £2.
- For a slice of summer, save £1.05 on Tesco Finest white chocolate & strawberry cake, now £1.70.
- Still delicious, Morrisons Wonky raspberries, 125g, are £1.35.
- Save £1 on two Waitrose No1 raspberry panna cotta, now £3.
- SAVE £3 on Chapel Down English rosé wine at Morrisons, now £11.
- Asda’s Extra Special Premier Cru Champagne is down from £21 to £19.
- Save £1 on Tesco Plaza pink sparkling rosé, now £6.
- Save £1 on Innocent strawberry and banana smoothie at Morrisons, 750ml, £2.
- Co-op’s Corte Molino prosecco is down from £8.50 to £7.
- Ballycastle strawberries and cream liqueur from Aldi is now nearly half price at £4.99.
- Save 25p on Robinsons Summer Fruits squash with no added sugar at Asda, now £1.25.
- Tesco Fruit Fusion Summer Berries is £2.75.
- For an English sparkler, save £3 on Balfour Classic Cuvée Brut, NV, which is down to £17 from £20 now at M&S.
Plum and summer fruit pudding
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 500g plums, stoned and quartered
- 200ml cranberry juice
- 100ml port, or additional 100ml cranberry juice
- 50g caster sugar
- 150g fresh blueberries, plus extra to decorate
- 170g fresh raspberries, plus extra to decorate
- 8 slices 3-day-old thick-sliced white bread, crusts removed
METHOD: Use six slices of the bread to line the base and sides of a 1 litre pudding basin.
Place the plums in a pan with the cranberry juice, port and sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes until fruit is tender. Stir in blueberries and raspberries.
Spoon the fruit and juice into the bread-lined basin, then top with the final two slices of bread.
Cover loosely with clingfilm then sit a plate on top that’s slightly smaller than the basin. Place a weight (or can of beans) on top of the saucer and allow it to stand overnight in the fridge.
To serve, turn the pudding out onto a plate. Top with fresh blueberries and raspberries.
Most read in Money
SHAKING IT UP
McDonald's is adding six items to its menu next week
When does the furlough scheme end in the UK?
BEER WE GO
9 rules Wetherspoons customers will have to follow when pubs reopen on Saturday
Next VIP sale launches this week with 50% off- here's how to get a priority slot
EYES DOWN, LOOK IN
Inside Mecca Bingo with new table service and early bird sessions
John Lewis 'set to axe stores, jobs and bonuses in battle to survive'
White chocolate and raspberry brownies
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 115g Stork Original Baking Block
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g plain flour
- 200g white chocolate
- 115g fresh raspberries
METHOD: Pre-heat oven to 190C/ 170 fan/Gas 5. Melt the Stork, add half the chocolate and stir until smooth. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until creamy and slightly thickened.
Sieve the flour into the bowl and fold in gently with the chocolate mixture, then add half the remaining chocolate and half the raspberries. Carefully pour the mixture into an 18cm square tin, lined with baking or greaseproof paper brushed with oil.
Sprinkle the remaining chocolate and raspberries on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden. Leave to cool before cutting into squares.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]