Android users were delivered a big shock this week when millions were blocked from downloading the TikTok app from the Google Play Store. TikTok is the viral video sensation app which first made its name in China, before gaining hundreds of millions of users across the globe. And this week the largest overseas market for TikTok has seen the app get hit with a widespread banned.
On Tuesday TikTok disappeared from the Google Play Store after the Indian government banned dozens of Chinese apps.
TikTok’s desktop website is also inaccessible for users in the region.
TikTok was among 59 Chinese apps banned by New Delhi, with the app being taken off the Google Play Store as well as the Apple App Store.
The Indian government claimed the apps threatened “national security and defence of India, which ultimately impinges upon the sovereignty and integrity of India”.
READ MORE: Android users must delete these apps as threats DOUBLE for millions
India is the largest overseas market for TikTok, with over 200million users in the region.
Worldwide TikTok has been installed over two billion times, with 611million of these downloads in India alone.
Following the shock developments, TikTok CEO Kevin Mayer said his firm were working with stakeholders in India to address their concerns.
Mayer said: “Our platform has encountered an unfortunate challenge in India. However, we stay resolved and committed to our mission, and are working with stakeholders to address their concerns.
“TikTok continues to comply with all data privacy and security requirements under Indian law and places the highest importance on user privacy and integrity.”
The 59 apps that have been banned in India had a combined monthly active userbase of 505million last month, according to a post by TechCrunch.
While in the last quarter alone these apps were downloaded around 330million times.
Out of these 59 apps, 27 of them were ranked among the top 1,000 Android apps in India last month.
Other apps that have been banned include Clash of Kings, Weibo and WeChat.
The news comes amid tensions between India and China following a border clash between the two neighbouring countries in June in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed.
In the aftermath of these deadly clashes people in the Indian city of Ahmedabad threw Chinese TVs they owned out of their balconies.
While traders in New Delhi protested by burning Chinese made goods, and there have been calls in India to boycott products made in China entirely.
Amid this tense backdrop Oppo in June decided to cancel a live online launch of their Find X2 flagship handset.
Instead of holding a live unveiling for the handset they uploaded a pre-recorded video to YouTube.