Today, June 30, was the deadline for the Sussexes to leave the Windsor property, with their last remaining possessions being shipped to their home in Montecito, California.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told The Sun: “Losing their UK home without a replacement is a huge deal.
“The most important aspect as far as Harry is concerned is that it means he can no longer act as a Counsellor of State.
“That’s hugely important because in theory he had the right, in the event of the King being incapacitated, to do this.
“Although he is no longer a working royal he still had this right – and by not having a UK residence he has now thrown this opportunity away.”
He added: “But it means if they don’t have a UK residence when William ascends to the throne then he will be unable to support his brother – not that he does that now.”
Counsellors of State are typically made up of four royals next in line to the throne who are over the age of 21, and the monarch’s spouse.
The official Counsellors of State were Queen Camilla, Prince William, Prince Harry, Prince Andrew and Princess Beatrice, although last year Charles proposed that his other siblings Princess Anne and Prince Edward be added to the list.
With Harry and Andrew stepping back as working royals, the King requested an amendment to the 1937 Regency Act, which outlined the role and responsibilities of the Counsellors of State.
The proposed change was read out to the House of Lords, which said adding Anne and Edward would “ensure continued efficiency of public business when I’m unavailable, such as while I’m undertaking official duties overseas.”
Now that Harry and Meghan no longer have Frogmore it wad revealed they would have to come to a “private agreement” with the King if they want to stay at any royal residences in the future.
Harry most recently stayed at Frogmore when he jetted back to London for a three-day visit as part of a court case.