MEGHAN Markle’s five pals who gave an explosive interview to People magazine could be named TODAY in a High Court battle.
The Duchess of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Mail on Sunday, after a “private” letter she sent to her estranged father Thomas Markle was revealed.
Read our Meghan and Harry blog for the latest news on the Royal couple.
Meghan Markle is suing the publisher of the Mail on Sunday for revealing the contents of a letter she sent to her estranged father[/caption]
But the publisher has argued that the existence of the letter had been discussed in an anonymous interview given by five of the former actress’ pals to People Magazine.
Meghan’s lawyers last week applied for the duchess’ friends to remain anonymous as part of the proceedings – something the paper’s legal team has opposed.
The 39-year-old says her friends gave the interview without her knowledge, and denies a claim made by ANL that she “caused or permitted” the People article to be published.
In the article published by People in February of last year, the friends spoke out against the bullying Meghan said she has faced, and have only been identified in confidential court documents.
In a written submission to the court, Justin Rushbrooke QC, representing the duchess, said it would be “cruel irony” for the friends to be identified in the privacy case.
However, Antony White QC, acting for ANL, said the unnamed friends are “important potential witnesses on a key issue”.
“Reporting these matters without referring to names would be a heavy curtailment of the media’s and the defendant’s entitlement to report this case and the public’s right to know about it,” he said.
“No friend’s oral evidence could be fully and properly reported because full reporting might identify her, especially as there has already been media speculation as to their identities.”
Mr Justice Warby is due to deliver his ruling on the duchess’s application at 10.30am today.
Meghan Markle wrote a letter to her father after he missed her wedding[/caption]
Thomas Markle was not at the 2018 wedding of the couple[/caption]
ANL, publisher of the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline, won the first skirmish in the legal action on May 1, when Mr Justice Warby struck out parts of Meghan’s claim.
This included allegations that the publisher acted “dishonestly” by leaving out certain passages of the letter.
Court papers have since shown Meghan has agreed to pay ANL’s £67,888 costs for that hearing in full.
Meghan is suing ANL over five articles, two in the MoS and three on MailOnline, which were published in February 2019 and reproduced parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her father in August 2018.
Most read in News
HELL ON EARTH
'Welder sparked Beirut blast' that killed 100 & was 5th the size of Hiroshima
Boy, 10, survived being swept out to sea by floating on back… like he saw on TV
Moment EastEnders star Katie Jarvis unleashes racist rant in drunken brawl
All-girl gang 'the Pussy Cat Molls' caged for 'Golden Triangle' card credit racket
Coronavirus rips through Mojaca infecting dozens in Spanish party resort
Greetings from the royals to Meghan prove they know how sensitive she is
The headline on the article read: “Revealed: The letter showing true tragedy of Meghan’s rift with a father she says has ‘broken her heart into a million pieces’.”
The duchess is seeking damages from ANL for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and breach of the Data Protection Act.
ANL wholly denies the allegations, particularly the duchess’s claim that the letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning, and says it will hotly contest the case.
Meghan and Harry now live in the US[/caption]