A teenager is due in court in connection with an incident in which a schoolgirl was allegedly pulled into the sea and raped. Dorset Police were told the 15-year-old had been attacked near to the Oceanarium at the seaside resort of Bournemouth at 4pm on Sunday July 18 2021.
She and her friends had been playing with a ball when it landed close to her 19-year-old attacker, who threw it back before starting a conversation with began the girl, before pulling her out deeper into the sea and allegedly raping her.
The man, from the Walsall area in the West Midlands, was arrested in connection with the incident and has now been issued with a postal requisition to appear at Poole Magistrates’ Court on Friday 16 June 2023 for an offence of rape and four counts of sexual assault.
Detective Inspector Mark Jenkins, of MCIT, said: “Dorset Police takes all reports of rape and sexual offences extremely seriously and we ensure victims are fully supported throughout the investigation.
“In this case, extensive and lengthy enquiries, followed by a detailed submission to the Crown Prosecution Service, have led to them authorising charges in this case.
“We have kept the victim and their family closely informed throughout and will continue this support through the court processes.”
He continued: “This matter is now the subject of court proceedings, and it would therefore be inappropriate for us to comment any further at this stage.
“It is vital that the judicial process is allowed to follow its course and I would like to remind the public that there should be no commentary or sharing of information online or on social media that could potentially prejudice these proceedings.”
We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.
For the latest news and breaking news visit: /news
Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow our social media accounts here on facebook.com/DailyExpress and @daily_express