A child aged 10 is among at least four victims of shootings across multiple scenes in Cincinnati on Wednesday afternoon (May 31).
Police report that three other youngsters aged 14, 15 and 18 were also injured in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio, after the shootings around 4.30pm on Wednesday.
The gunfire took place in the city’s Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, which has seen the most shootings of anywhere in the city so far in 2023 and has seen shootings rise year-upon-year, according to WCPO.
All of those shot have been taken to local hospitals but their injuries are reportedly non-life threatening.
Police told the media they believe the victims were shot by multiple gunmen traveling in a black four-door Hyundai with tinted windows.
READ MORE: Police respond to shooting at Bengals star Joe Mixon’s home
Authorities did not say if they believed that the victims were targeted.
“We as a city, I don’t care who you are, you should not tolerate this kind of behavior in this city in broad daylight,” Cincinnati Police Chief Teresa Theetge said.
“They are not going to get away with this.
“This will not be tolerated. Not in Cincinnati”
A witness told WLWT that he heard banging sounding like fireworks, and “just saw people running.”
Last week police found a 29-year-old man shot dead on the corner of East Elder and Hamer Streets in Cincinnati. This happened after another shooting a few hours earlier just a short walk away.
WCPO reports that data shows OTR consistently ranks among the top neighborhoods for crime, including shootings.
By this time last year, there had been 10 shootings reported by the community council. This year has already surpassed that figure, with 12 before Wednesday’s latest shootings.