A 16-year-old girl has died in France while attempting a perilous TikTok challenge called the “scarf game”, which is a variation of the “blackout challenge” that’s killed several app users over the past year. Christy Sibali Dominique Gloire Gassaille, born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, was reportedly at home when she attempted the dangerous challenge which killed her on May 27.
The participant must fasten cloth around their neck to asphyxiates themselves before passing out.
Similar to the “blackout challenge”, this can restrict the oxygen flow to the brain, and cause seizures, serious injury and in some cases death.
Gassaile was laid to rest on June 7 at the Fleury-les-Aubrais Cemetery, near her Orléans home in France.
Her passing is another that has been caused by choking challenges, which have caught TikTok by storm.
Read more: Warning over dangerous TikTok trend as Britons to bake in 30C heat
However, the social media company appears to have placed restrictions, as a search for the term “scarf game” by The New York Post on Friday, returned a “no results found” message.
“This phrase may be associated with behavior or content that violates our guidelines. Promoting a safe and positive experience is TikTok’s top priority. For more information, we invite you to review our Community Guidelines.”
TikTok were asked for comment by The Post.
In January Milagros Soto, 12, from Argentina, died while trying the deathly trend with a homemade noose.
While it is unclear why Soto took part in the challenge, her aunt has said that she had received a WhatsApp message with a link to a video of the challenge after suffering from bullying at school.
“I believe someone encouraged her to do it.
“She suffered a lot with bullying.”
The preteen’s loss left the community devastated.
A spokesperson for Soto’s school said: “We support our student’s family in this terrible moment,” before adding that she was a “great student, friend, sweet, good and kind.”
Deaths also took place in Britain, with Leon Brown, 14, and Archie Battersbee, 12, both dying due to the viral challenge.
TikTok is facing wrongful death lawsuits in the US after two girls from California allegedly hung themselves to death after viewing the “blackout challenge” videos on the app.
The lawsuit reads: “TikTok has invested billions of dollars to intentionally design and develop its product to encourage, enable and push content to teens and children that defendant knows to be problematic and highly detrimental to its minor users’ mental health.”
TikTok reps have denied responsibility in previous similar cases.
The streaming platform claimed that “choking game” injuries and fatalities were happening long before the “blackout challenge”.
Anybody partaking in the challenge are encouraged to be flagged by TikTok users.